I miss our Tribe. We now see the deep value of manschool when it is taken away from us. God is shaking this world. We knew a storm was coming and wow. Just wow. We need to realize, this could just be the tip. If we think this is rough, we cannot fathom was real hardship is like. We can’t imagine a total collapse of the global economy. We can’t imagine no food in the stores vs. the current “crisis” of limited chicken and toilet paper.
God is breaking the strongholds over America. We worship sports – there is no more sports. We idolize athletes. Where are they now? We love rock and roll and country music and there are no more concerts. Hollywood dictates so much of American culture and the movie theatres are closed. We love money and put our worth in the value of our retirement plans – they are down 30-40% in a month.
The things we love, the things we idolize, the things we put our faith and trust and self-worth in are being taken away from us.
God is shaking this nation to its core. Make NO mistake, God is moving through this virus. He takes messes and makes them miracles all the time. He’s done it before and He’ll do it again.
Max Lucado said this morning – “God is going to use this mess for something good. He always does. Don’t be foolish or naive but don’t despair either. Defy despair. Keep it out of the house.”
I love that … DEFY DESPAIR. For me, personally, that was powerful medicine. I’m not giving into this fear. Hope is critical at times like these. I’m watching a story on the Battle of Britain right now – Churchill told them, “we shall never give up”. Hope.
How you handle this will be determined by what you input into your mind + how you process what you’re dealing with. Those two things will determine the output you get. It starts with what you input. For goodness sakes … turn the news off! I had to walk out of the room tonight and go into another room and close the doors so I didn’t have to listen to the nightly press update by the President. It’s just too much. It does my soul no good. I and I alone control what I take into my mind and soul. Men, guard your hearts.
Two quick tips and then we’re done…
Max Lucado said this short thing helps him navigate life’s difficult situations …
C – celebrate God’s goodness – remind yourself of everything good God is and has done.
A – Ask God for help – stop and ask Him … a lot.
L – leave your concerns with God – “Jesus, I give everyone and everything to You.”
M – meditate on good things – every single day through this storm, write down a few good things that happened to you that day.
Last thing from John Mark Comer today …
Starting tonight or tomorrow, start writing your “rule of life”. Your personal game plan. here is a quick template …
- Start tomorrow and each day in quiet before you ever look at a screen or turn on any noise. Start before the family gets up. Quiet. 15 minutes. Something. Time with God. Read Joshua. Read the Proverb for the day. Or just sit and listen. Breathe. Talk to God.
- Have a gratitude ritual – similar to above, write down a few things every day you are grateful for. Focus on those.
- Exercise – deal with the wave of anxiety crushing down on you through your body – sweat it out. Walk, run, lift weights, exert energy.
- A focal practice – meaning find something that requires great focus on your part – do a puzzle, play a challenging mind game, woodwork, garden, build something. Disconnect from the 24/7 news on the virus and pour your mind and hands into something that will focus your entire being.
- Relational touch points – it is hard to do in a time of social distancing but build relationships. Call someone and check on them. Drop by and stand in the driveway and talk (ten feet apart)!
- Limit news – limit what you watch to 1-2x a day of getting brief updates. Do NOT sit in front of the TV watching the scrolling news coverage.
- Limit all screen time – if you are working from home, you have downtime. Don’t fill that up with time on your phone or Netflix.
God has said “STOP” to America. Too many of us work too hard and have no margin. Now, all of a sudden, we have time. How will you spend it? Will these next few weeks establish new patterns in your life and your family? Will you develop a rule for life? Will you change the way your run your days from now on? Will you read the Word more than ever and find a hunger for it that lasts for the rest of your life once things return to normal?
We will get though this. We want to come out on the other side of this better than we went into it. God has allow this for a reason. He has much work He wants to do in you and me in this time. Pay attention. God is moving.